Friday 11 January 2013

Acknowledgements


A blog update! This time it's Sam, on a farm just outside Russell, recovering from a mostly successful sea boating trip. I trust you all had a wonderful Christmas (lots of presents) and a fantastic new years (less than murderous hangover) and are settling into 2013 well. I spent my Christmas on Kawau Island and my new years at a bach in Taiharuru; more on that in another post.

I thought, as a little teaser to everyone, that I would thank everyone involved in turning my little paddle into a great trip. Doug first, obviously, for shadowing me for the first day to make sure I had everything. The anonymous yachties of Kawau Island Yacht Club who pointed me towards shelter from Cyclone Evan. Richard and Helen of 44ft ketch Bon Amis who welcomed me on board for Christmas lunch, and let me stay on board for dinner too. Mike, Genine and Caroline of 40ft ketch Sulali, who took pity on a much too optimistic sea kayaker on Boxing Day, accepted my gift of a crate of beer and gave me a feed, a bed and a mean hangover the next day (thanks for that!). Maaike and Ben of Ruakaka surf club, for giving me a place to stay for two nights and letting me play with all the rescue toys. Brian and Caroline or Taiharuru for letting me camp at their beautiful batch... and giving me another hangover. And of course the many people who came over to the tent for a chat and said 'good on ya mate!' once they heard my plans. You all made a huge difference.

Well, that's all for now. I will flesh out the rest of my 12 day trip over the coming two weeks, and I hope that you all enjoy reading about it! I'm off for a soak in the spa pool.

Catch you all soon,

Sam and Doug

No comments:

Post a Comment